Tips for Moving Furniture
Whether you move across town or across the country, getting your furniture there can be an exhausting job. Lifting tables and getting couches through doors can be a difficult and often frustrating task. There are many moving services available in Greenville, SC, to help you. However, sometimes, you may have to do the work yourself. Here are the top tips from professional movers to help you when you have to move your furniture.
1) Make a Loading Plan- Smart movers know that you always place oversized and heavier items in the back of your moving truck. Placement helps with balancing the load. It also helps protect some of your more fragile items. Plus, you’ll get most of the heavier lifting out of the way in the beginning, before you get too tired. Always make a plan before you start picking up any furniture.
2) Get the Right Equipment- Don’t expect to just lift and load items into a moving van or truck. That’s a sure recipe for disaster. Instead, use moving tools, supplies, and equipment that makes the task easier. Most supplies can be bought or rented at a low cost. Affordable movers in Greenville, SC, will include these items in their moving package. The right supplies can protect your furniture and your back. Look into purchasing or renting any or all of these supplies:
- Moving Straps– These straps help even the load when you are moving heavy items. Get adjustable straps to fit your needs.
- Furniture Blankets– A few furniture blankets are always a good investment. They help protect your furniture, your door frames, and your flooring. Be sure you wrap your pieces completely to avoid scuffing.
- Bubble Wrap– When you have smaller pieces or even just more fragile items, bubble wrap is an excellent option. Be certain you use tape or rope that doesn’t trail behind to avoid tripping.
- Furniture Sliders– When you move heavy furniture, try to lift it as little as possible. Using furniture sliders can help safely and gently move larger pieces of furniture that would otherwise damage your floor.
- Hand Trucks or Furniture Dollies– A couple of dollies or hand trucks can be a real lifesaver. They use leverage to lower weight distribution.
3) Break It All Down- Before you start trying to wrestle with that giant kitchen table, take the legs off. Break down bed frames. Remove drawers from dressers. Take the feet off of sofas. Even a couple inches could make a difference when you’re moving things through narrow hallways or doorways.
4) Package Your Hardware and Label Everything- There is hardly anything worse than getting to your new place and not knowing where the bolts are to put your bed back together. Place each nut, bolt, washer, and screw in a plastic bag and label it. Tape the bag to the bottom of the furniture piece if you can without damaging the material.
5) Go Slow- Moving companies in Greenville, SC, can work swiftly while also moving slowly. Follow their example, and you will save energy, time, and money. You could also save yourself a hefty hospital bill by preventing serious injury.
6) Work Smarter Not Harder- While you can’t avoid all the heavy lifting, you can make the job easier by following some simple techniques. Try these as you start moving those big items to the back of the truck.
- Bend at the knees not the waist. When you bend at your knees, you take a lot of the work off your back. This means your legs are actually doing the main lifting.
- Be careful to keep your body straight as you move. Sudden bends and twists are when injuries happen.
- Carry large items high and low. You can help distribute weight if you have two people carry heavy items high and low. This means one person carries the piece from the bottom while the other carries it from the top.
- Never carry anything blindly. You have to be able to see where you are going at all times. This can be difficult when you have large items to carry. However, if you keep your eyes looking forward and move very slowly, you’ll be able to stay safe.
7) Make an Unloading Plan- You don’t want to move furniture more than necessary. So, when you get to your new home, make sure you know where everything goes. This way, when you move the furniture in, you’ll only need to move it once.
Moving doesn’t have to be a hassle. The team at The Moving Gurus is here to help. We are Greenville’s preferred moving company. Our friendly and experienced staff will take the stress out of your next move. Call us today at 864-626-6264. We’re always happy to help.